M-F 7:30am to 5:30pm
Saturday 8:00am to 4:00pm
(Closed Saturday in Hooksett and S. Portland)
Manchester, NH - 603-232-1521
Merrimack, NH - 603-429-1002
Wolfeboro, NH - 603-569-1068
Conway, NH - 603-447-3873
S. Portland, ME - 207-613-8179
Derry, NH - 603-845-3900
Hooksett, NH - 603-644-7238
Lebanon, NH - 603-448-1381
How to Perform a Used-Car Inspection
Avoid the most common, costly mistakes before you purchase that vehicle.
NOTE: This checklist is a courtesy to help people shopping for used vehicles. IT IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR AN INSPECTION BY A QUALIFIED TECHNICIAN. There are many issues that are difficult to find without a trained eye or putting the vehicle up on a lift.
Use this guide as a reminder to check for some of the more common and obvious problems we see after people purchase used vehicles. If you’d like a printable version of this checklist to take with you, just fill out the form below…
1) Questions for the Seller
- Why are you selling?
- Do you have maintenance/repair history?
- What brand/type of oil have you used?
- Who changed the oil?
- Has the timing belt been replaced? If so, when?
- Are there any known problems?
- Has the vehicle ever been in an accident?
- Do you have extra rims with snow tires?
- I need to take it to my mechanic for inspection.
Is that OK?
2) Check the Exterior
- Body line gaps are correct/consistent.
- Paint matches on all body panels.
- The hood fits and opens easily.
- Paint is not cracked or flaking on the bumpers.
- Windshield is not cracked.
- All exterior lights are operational.
- All mirrors work and are free of cracks.
3) Check Under the Vehicle
- No fluids are leaking.
- Nothing hanging down or loose.
- Tires are worn evenly, smooth, and free of bumps.
- Tires are not cracked and no damaged to the sidewalls.
- All tires are the same size and same brand.
- All tires have the same tread depths.
- Wheel lock is present.
4) Check Under the Hood
- Fluid levels are full and clean.
- Oil dipstick is not discolored.
- Battery terminals are not corroded.
- No rusty stains or signs of overheating.
- Drive belts are not cracked.
- Radiator/heater hoses are soft and pliable.
- Hose clamps are not rusty.
5) Check the Interior
- Key on, engine off, check engine lights illuminate.
- Seat belts work.
- Power windows work from all switches.
- Power door locks work from all switches.
- Interior lighting works.
- Power receptacles/USB ports working.
- Radio working.
- Windshield wipers working, no streaking.
- Horn operates.
- Turn signals and emergency flashers working.
- Carpet is dry and free of water stains.
- No musty orders.
- No signs of cigarette smoking.
- A/C and heater controls working.
- HVAC blower motor works on all speeds.
6) With the Engine Running
- Starts easily, no extended or slow cranking.
- Idles smoothly and exhaust is quiet.
- Dash gauges work and read normally.
- No warning lights illuminated.
7) Test Drive
- No noises, rattles, or knocks.
- Drives straight, steering is tight.
- Stops smoothly, brake pedal firm with no pulsations felt while braking.
- Transmission shifts smoothly, no jerking or delayed hard-shifting.
- Engine temperature is normal.
- Accelerates smoothly.
- Operates well at 30, 45, and 60 MPH.
8) Local? Schedule Now!
- 7 New England Locations
- ASE Certified Master Technicians
- Peace of Mind for your new investment
- Don’t buy used without a professional inspecting the vehicle
- We have saved people thousands of dollars in repairs
- Only $99
Care That Goes Beyond the Vehicle
- Our work comes with a 5 year, 50k mile warranty
- Courtesy loaner cars and shuttles available
- Up to 6 months to pay interest-free
- Open Saturdays
- ASE-certified master technicians
We're as devoted to our customers as we are to our expertise in everything automotive including electric and hybrid vehicles. We understand how valuable your time is, and with that in mind, we strive to make automotive service as easy as possible. We work to get your vehicle back to you as soon as we can - same day service is our goal. Your maintenance and repairs are done right the first time and on time.
What Our Customers Say
Very professional, courteous and knowledgeable. Serviced both of our vehicles in a very timely manner. After a long search we have finally found a great auto repair shop.
The staff is friendly, professional and efficient. The service was excellent and carried out within an acceptable time.
What Our Customers Say